Tivoli Park is Ljubljana’s largest and most beautiful park, stretching right into the city centre.
Tivoli Park It was designed in 1813 by the French engineer Jean Blanchard and created by joining together the parks which had surrounded Podturn and Cekin Mansions. The park, covering an area of approximately five square kilometres, is crossed by three grand horse chestnut tree-lined walks and landscaped with ornamental flower beds, interesting trees and numerous statues and fountains. The park area blends into the slopes of the Rožnik hill, to which it is connected by several walking paths and a trim trail with several exercise stations along its length.
Prešernov trg square
The Prešernov trg square developed from a road junction in front of one of the city gates leading to medieval Prešernov squareLjubljana. Next to the junction, a Franciscan church of the Annunciation was built in the 17th century, but the junction was turned into a square and paved only after the city walls were pulled down in the middle of the 19th century.
The squares’ Prešeren Monument, designed by the architect Maks Fabiani and the sculptor Ivan Zajc, was unveiled in the autumn of 1905. It depicts the greatest Slovenian poet, France Prešeren (1800-1849), and the muse of poetry holding a spring of laurel above his head. The poet’s statue is symbolically faced by the statue of Julija Primic, his great love, mounted on the fasade of a building located across the square, in the Wolfova ulica street.
The central of the three bridges forming the Triple Bridge has stood in its place since 1842, when it replaced an Triple Bridgeold, strategically important medieval wooden bridge connecting the north-western European lands with south-eastern Europe and the Balkans. Between 1929 and 1932, the side bridges, intended for pedestrians, were added to the original stone bridge to a design by the architect Jože Plecnik, who thus created a unique architectural gem of Ljubljana.
On the right bank of the river, the Bridge is enhanced by a small flower shop connected to the Ljubljana Central Market colonnade, and on the left bank by a kiosk. It has a key position on the crossing of Plecnik’s two urban axes, the river axis and the axis running between the Rožnik and castle hills. In 1992, the Triple Bridge was thoroughly renovated.
The Robba Fountain, one of Ljubljana’s best known Baroque monuments, Robba Fountainalso known as The Fountain of Three Carniolan Rivers, stands at the edge of the Mestni trg square. It was created between 1743 and 1751 by the Venetian-born sculptor and architect Francesco Robba (1698-1757), who spent most of his life in Ljubljana and is considered to be the city’s greatest Baroque master sculptor working in stone.
The Dragon Bridge, adorned with famous dragon statues, appears in Dragon Bridge the most recognizable images of Ljubljana. If you haven’t been photographed next to a Dragon Bridge dragon, you can hardly claim that you have visited Ljubljana.
The four dragon statues, which look slightly terrifying and almost real (if, of course, you believe that dragons might be real), are a masterpiece which has been exciting imagination since the bridge was built.
Ljubljana’s Central Market is more than just a place to shop. Traditionally, Ljubljana’s Central Marketit has also been a place for the locals to meet and enjoy themselves together.
The Central Market consists of an open-air market, located in the Vodnikov trg and Pogacarnev trg squares, a covered market situated in between the two squares, and a series of small food shops along the river Ljubljanica, which are referred to as ‘Plecnik’s Covered Market’ as they are located in a colonnade designed by Ljubljana’s famous architect Jože Plecnik.
Ljubljana Castle, standing on a hill above the city for about 900 years, Ljubljana Castle is Ljubljana’s main attraction.
The castle’s Outlook Tower and ramparts offer some of the most beautiful views of the city, while the castle houses a museum exhibition on Slovenian history, a puppet museum, and a number of historical rooms such as the Chapel of St George, the Prison, and a video presentation room called Virtual Castle.